L’invention de la liberte 1700–1789 / 1789 les emblemes de la raison
Book, 2018. Offset printing, sewn hardback binding with dust jacket, page size 138 x 222 mm, 512 pp
The Humanities Library’s design identity is centered around the dust jacket that partially exposes the cover: for each title, the same 474 × 270 mm sheet is folded at a different angle to make a unique, tilted-looking semi-jacket. The typography is different each time, depending on the title.
For this volume, the structure of the book—two essays are combined—is expressed through the juxtaposition of titles. Various methods of contrasting and shading (black and white, and halftone gradation between them) are also used to suggest dichotomous relations.
- Written by Jean Starobinski
- Edited by Kim Yeong-ok
- Text composition by Injin
- Printed and bound by Yeongsinsa
- Published by Munhakdongne
- Presented in Graphic West 9: Sulki & Min, curated by Goto Tetsuya, Kyoto DDD Gallery, 16 January–19 March 2021